Well, I am pleased to report the video is moving along quite nicely. Not without a major scare though (we’ll get into that). November was an extremely stressful month for planning shots, executing angles, coordinating with people to make certain shots happen, etc. It was all worth it and I am happy to report, Filming is wrapped!
First things first though, about a month ago I made a mistake. (enter amateur hour) I accidentally misplaced my entire timeline. I know, I know. Basically the video just disappeared. I’m sure you could imagine my enthusiasm. There was a big moment of denial which lasted around an hour, followed by cold sweats and a pounding headache. I traveled my mac up and down to the ends of long lost file directories. No CBC.FCP (file name) to be found. It was like stealthy magic trick. Im not gonna lie, it was impressive. But frightening to say the least. After an hour of nothing, I caved and called Apple customer support.
Since I am using a “pro” software I am able to call Apple’s support line and reach for the safety raft. I was pretty confident Apple had a solution, they had always helped me in the past. So while on the inside I was crying, I felt Apple would pull me out of it. Nop. Not only could they not help me. A supervisor gave me a lecture on backups, especially working with a large video project (Thanks, Apple).
After about another hour of scouring my computers hard drive to no avail, I opened up Final Cut Pro and bit the bullet. I started rebuilding from scratch the entire video. This was months of work, but I had no choice. I was pulling down files to place into my timeline one at a time. Anyone who is aware of the process knows how insane this sounds. But really, what were my options?
All of sudden I pulled down a file with an odd name. It was labeled that days date. I dragged it to my timeline and low and behold it was my original video that went missing! To this moment, I still have no idea how my 5 minute edited cut of the video got removed from my timeline and mixed in with 400 clips of random footage. If I would have been allowed to run around with no pants discharging whipped cream in my mouth, I would have! I was extremely happy to say the least!
After that incident I directly went into filming. I have attended every church service I could with camera in hand. I went with the bus ministry with my clanky tripod and toted my camera equipment in the hallways of nursing homes for the nursing home ministry. I lugged my trusty tripod and camera around church to every Sunday school class, every special occasion. In all actuality it was pretty fun, but certainly exhausting. A mental note: filming is exhausting. I always forget this.
Last week is when I really sat down and dug my heels in with the editing. I had a goal of trying to make something cohesive and feel like “one” video after a 2 night edit session. This was hard because I had literally 400 plus clips of footage I had to condense into a 5 or so minute video. Luckily making the audio narrative really helped.
When I felt the product was about 80% complete I wanted to show it to Bro. Edward. After all it’s his video. I knew once achieving around 80% completion, the rest of the work would really be just polishing the actual footage in the timeline. Polishing is tough and takes a considerable amount of time. So therefore I dint want to be polishing video that wasn’t going to make it into the final cut. And I didn’t have the authority to claim Final Cut, Bro Edward did.
I was nervous showing him, but felt somewhat confident that the product told the story he wanted. But most definitely my goal was; if there was something in here he didn’t want or like, I wanted to know now. Before putting a final polish on it. Luckily, he loved it. He kept telling me he thought it was finished. Or that I didn’t need to do anything else to it. Of course I know, and every filmmaker in the world knows thats not true. But this was a good sign. I was on the right track.
Presently I am proud to say I have a picture lock and am deep in “magic” month. Really, just tightening the screw and polishing everything. It looks like I will hit my goal of launching sometime in January! I really, really can’t wait for people to see it at this point. I should be posting one more update to this series as time goes on.
Thanks for following along!